Sunday 13 June 2021

Using wheelchairs to learn about disability.....

Pinelands North Primary regularly rents wheelchairs to assist our pupils to 'walk in other peoples' shoes'! Every child has an opportunity to spend some of a day in wheelchair, trying to get around and do normal every day things without standing up. For most this is the first time they get to appreciate how disabled people manage daily. After the last opportunity, the grade 6 pupils were asked to answer some questions. These are their answers: 

My first day in a wheelchair was:
exciting, scary, fun, relaxing, lovely, different, challenging, strange, tiring, cool, difficult, frustrating, 

I found: going through the passage with lots of people, moving around outside the classroom, trying to park in a perfect position, maneuvering around, going to the toilet (lots found this challenging), getting through the classroom door, going anywhere, not being able to move my legs, pushing uphill, 

Most challenging but really enjoyed: sitting down for the day, sitting in a soft chair, riding around, watching how people treated me while in the wheelchair, rolling around the playground and passages, getting pushed around by others, experiencing how someone else feels in a wheelchair, going down ramps (lots loved this).

What I learnt from this experience was:  
that I must not take life for granted. You can live a normal life, like anyone else, while in a wheelchair. 
that it is not easy to move around and it took a lot of problem solving.
I need to be thankful for what I have and must never take it for granted.
that it is hard being in a wheelchair.
not to make fun of those around you who are in a wheelchair or are different to you.
we must appreciate our legs.
that people in a wheelchair have a hard time getting around.
I must be thankful for what God has given me.

I now know:
that people in wheelchairs are special, just like us.
how people in wheelchairs manage their daily lives.
that life is much harder for disabled people.
that different people have different struggles.
that it is easier to walk with two legs, than to ride in a wheelchair with none.
I must be thankful for what I have and must take care of myself.
I must respect others in wheelchairs.

Going forward, I will try to:
to help others and to be a good friend to those in a wheelchair.
respect people in wheelchairs, because it is very difficult doing things on your own.
to keep my legs safe.
to treat people equally.
to take care of what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment